Sunday, July 24, 2011

Trenton Farmers' Market and Halo Farm


I've heard a lot about the Trenton Farmers' Market and Halo Farm, a dairy right next to the market.  Today, my lovely neighbors Mike and Lisa knocked on my door and asked if I would like to join them on their trip to both of these places.  Not that I needed anything from the dairy....

The market is a covered one.  Unfortunately, for some reason a lot of the vendors weren't there today, but I was still able to score some goodies for fantastic prices.  I got a pint of blackberries and a pint of cherry tomatoes for $2 a piece.  Then on to Halo Farm...

I was informed this weekend that Halo Farm is known for the best and cheapest ice cream in town and also for their lemonade.  They were out of the regular lemonade, but after picking out 3 pints of ice cream, it's probably best that the diet stuff was the only kind left.  I couldn't leave without getting ice cream after it had been talked up so much.  Plus, it's still 100 degrees F outside.  But, one pint is $2.75 but 3 pints is $5.....
Thus, I returned home with Egg Nog, Peach, and Strawberry Heath, which is Lisa's favorite.  They might have to wait for Brent to get here so I don't eat all of it.  Also, I got a block of sharp cheddar.  I'm still trying to figure out if good cheese exists out here.  I'd kill for some real cheese curds.  I really don't understand why they don't have them here.  Cows? Check.  Cheese makers? Check.  Curds?  Nowhere to be found.

On another note, here is something bizarre to add to my list of crazy New Jersey-isms to tell Brent about when he gets here:
You can't pump your own gas!  You have to sit in your car, roll down the window, wait for the one attendant working to walk over, hand him your card, he slides it for you and fills your tank.  Weird.  On the plus side, it means you can stay out of the rain or snow, but wouldn't you feel inclined to tip the attendant?

No comments:

Post a Comment