Friday, July 22, 2011

The Bent Spoon

As a treat for surviving another week of Hebrew, I marched myself downtown to The Bent Spoon and had some delicious ice cream.  It was only a few blocks from campus, but in 100+ degree heat, it felt like miles.  Lucky for me, a table opened up right as I got there so I didn't have to take my ice cream outside.  I was joined by two lovely ladies from the local professional symphony orchestra for some nice chatting while we cooled off. 

The Bent Spoon is known for their creative flavors.  I spotted sweet corn and cucumber basil.  With so many choices, it could be hard to pick, but I was instantly set once I saw Bourbon Vanilla Sea Salt Caramel made with Jim Beam...I'm a sucker for sea salt sweet anything and bourbon is my second favorite liquor (Jameson being the first).  Even with a small size, you can have two flavors, so I also tried Lavender Mascarpone, made with local organic lavender.  Lavender is my favorite scent, one of the only ones that doesn't send me into a sneezing fit.  Lately, I've taken a cotton ball with a few drops of lavender essential oil and placed it under my pillow at night.  However, I've never eaten anything flavored with it.

Both flavors were fantastic.  The Bent Spoon doesn't mess around... The bourbon was absolutely present in the vanilla and the lavender was light, refreshing, and just simply delightful- not at all like eating dryer sheets, which is how I imagined it might be...

 
My only problem was that it was gone before I noticed what happened!  At $4.50 for a scoop and a cone, this was a bit indulgent, but I know I'll be back within the next few weeks, especially if the heatwave continues.

Here's a couple pictures I snapped along the way:

Trinity Episcopal Church...still hot and hazy today.

Just a shot of the downtown.
I'm so blessed to finally have some plans this weekend.  Some people from class invited me over to the dorm tomorrow night for a movie, and tonight I have plans with some people in our apartment complex.  Everyone has continued to be amazingly kind.  Too bad I have a crazy amount of Hebrew homework, including way too many vocabulary words :(

No comments:

Post a Comment