Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hebrew Day 2

Ugh!  Tonight I'm only 1/3 with my homework but I am calling it quits.  My brain has reached capacity and I'm very tired.  I have 'til Friday to decide to take the class Pass/Fail- something I've never done before.  I have the approval of my Committee on Preparation for Ministry (CPM), the group that is overseeing my ordination process.  I really think it may be a good idea, and not just because an A seems out of reach already.  I really want to learn Hebrew, not just ace my quizzes.  In fact, I need to learn Hebrew because to become ordained in the Presbyterian (USA) church, it's a requirement.  Plus, how can I truly study the Scriptures without it?  Trust me, a lot gets lost in translation.  Right now, I feel lost in translation.
It may be a good lesson for me to take it Pass/Fail because I need to learn to let go of my grades.  It won't be easy.  My undergrad was all about doing the work to get the grade since I was so busy working.  Time to switch gears I guess.
It's a year's worth of classes in 8 weeks.  Yesterday (Day 1), we were expected to learn the characters, the vowels (which Hebrew didn't have until something along the lines of 900 years after Jesus), how to transliterate, and also several vocabulary words.  Much to my surprise, I think I did okay on the quiz today. 
Tonight is a different story.  I went to the tutoring session today, but the tutor learned Hebrew a different way and was pretty much unable to help.  She's been studying for a final and unable to attend our class the last two days, so I'm hopeful that once she's done with that she can get on the same page as our professor.  I really feel for her.  I could tell she knows her stuff and was genuinely frustrated.  So am I!
I've decided to call it quits tonight and start fresh in the morning. 
Here are some pictures I snapped around Princeton University's campus yesterday.








I readily admit I have no idea what any of those buildings are. (Take that anyone who says the seminary students all pretend they go to Princeton.)  If I were pretending, I'd at least do my homework.


This beauty below is on MY campus.  It's the inside of Miller Chapel.  At one point I really wanted to get married here (until my stepmom pointed out that nobody would come... She's mostly right!).  Just look at those pale yellow walls!  Gorgeous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment