Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Healthier Taco Dip that is just as delicous as the real thing- I promise!

I love taco dip, but let's face it- it is normally loaded with fat.  Regular taco dip calls for one 8 oz brick of cream cheese creamed with 8 oz sour cream.  This new recipe replaces the cream cheese with Neufchâtel cheese (American Neufchâtel to be specific) and the sour cream with plain 0% greek yogurt.  Greek yogurt is one of my favorite foods and a definite road block on the quest to veganhood.  It is a strained yogurt with more protein than normal yogurt and a better texture.  Like sour cream, it is tangy.  However, it has way less fat and calories.  Yes, it is expensive, but I'd argue that it's more versatile than sour cream and less likely to go bad in the fridge as it has many uses!  Eat it with honey, fruit, or use in place of sour cream in pretty much any recipe (maybe not baking...I haven't tried it yet). 

I made this for my first cook-out with the neighbors.  Most of my kitchen gear is back home in WI, along with my hubby :(
*Notice I said "first" because I'm lonely and would definitely like to have many future dinners with the neighbors!*
Anyway, I wanted something I could make with my limited resources.  This is the first recipe I've made with my Kitchen Aid mixer.  Obviously I wouldn't leave her back home.  


Just 3 ingredients.  It doesn't get easier than that!

Creaming together the cheese and yogurt.


The finished dip.  Eat like this or spread thin and top with cheese, lettuce, and tomato.
Healthier Taco Dip
Source: Me!
Yield: about 2 cups

Ingredients:
8 oz Neufchâtel cheese, room temperature
8 oz plain 0% or 2% greek yogurt
1 package taco seasoning mix

Directions:
1. Cream together the cheese and yogurt.  I recommend using a mixer or food processor to avoid lumps.
2. Add taco seasoning and combine.
Serving suggestion: You can eat the dip plain or spread it in a thin layer on a platter and top with any combination of cheese, onion, tomatoes, and lettuce.  I recommend leaving the tomatoes off until you are ready to eat it to avoid a watery mess.  If you make this and invite me over, please skip the iceberg lettuce and olives :)

Notes:
- Sometimes Neufchâtel is sold as "reduced fat cream cheese."
- Use more yogurt and less cheese for a thinner dip.  This will save your chips from breaking in a big bowl of dip.
- I highly recommend looking for taco seasoning in the natural foods aisle, or just looking for and avoiding MSG or anything that sounds like it.  Also, I prefer spicy taco seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment