Sunday, July 17, 2011

Now that's what I call motivation...

No, not motivation to study or put away the last few items from unpacking.  Rather, motivation to keep all of the lights on all night, including in my bedroom, and motivation to take the first available bus to the store to buy the items on my list:

The beer was about as essential as the Borax.

Last night I was going around the apartment conducting my normal paranoid routine of shutting the blinds, locking the doors, and checking the coat closet for intruders...I know, I know... In my defense I had just watched 3 creepy episodes of Law and Order SVU.  That's when I saw it.
I've never, ever, seen an insect this large.  Keep in mind I spent two summers in the woods in Door County (one working and one camping).  I thought I'd seen a cockroach in the bathroom a few days ago, but ever since my neighbors told me they exist here and fall on you from the ceiling when you are showering, I've been a bit paranoid.  I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me as a dark back end disappeared under the cabinet. 
This time I had no doubt.  This sucker was HUGE.  At least 1 1/2 inches, shiny, and black.  In my opinion, way too big to kill by hand, like a mouse or something.  Well, I'm sure some people would be fine with it, but folks, I'm a vegetarian for a reason.  I'd rather get evicted than kill a mouse in my bed (it may have happened before).  Anyway, these suckers are too fast to kill.  By the time you see them, they are disappearing into a crack.

I interrupted my marathon of SVU to do some research.  Then, I hopped on the first bus to the store and picked up some roach bait traps (12 better be enough) and some Borax.  I have since pouffed (the proper technique) the Borax along every nook and cranny.  Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight.

I really can't catch a break when it comes to creepy crawlies.  No wonder my insomnia has been creeping back into my nights.  First the bat bugs, now these giant cockroaches.  While roaches don't bite, they are nasty, creepy, spread harmful bacteria, and are a huge allergen, second only to dust mites.  Ugh.

The new apartments can't be ready for move-in soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment