Thursday, July 21, 2011

Princeton Farmers' Market

I went to the Princeton Farmers' Market for the first time today.  I sneaked over between Hebrew lecture and Hebrew reading (more on that later)...
It is located a couple of blocks from campus in the courtyard in front of the public library on Witherspoon Street and runs during the summer and fall on Thursdays from 11-4pm. 
I knew not to have high expectations, seeing as my usual farmers' market in Madison, WI is the largest true farmers' only market in the USA (at least that's how they market it).  Really, I just wanted some fresh produce that wasn't from overpriced Whole Foods.  I'm glad there is a Whole Foods down the street, but I can't afford to shop there all the time. 
I had been looking forward to this day all week and had prepared by signing up for a locker on campus to ditch my books and by bringing along my handy canvas bag to hold my purchases.  Even the 100 + degree heat couldn't deter me!  However, it did deter my picture taking.

Notice the haze!

This does do justice to how it felt.

The market was modest but had several produce vendors and 3 cheese stands.  There were also lots of beautiful flowers, but I was afraid they'd wilt before I made it home and they are considered a frivolous purchase at this point in time.

Pretty much the whole thing. 
Somehow I managed to still spend lots of money.  Here's what I came home with:


I picked up some garlic to roast since it is delicious, gourmet, and dirt cheap.  Also, I don't go to any market or store without buying kale when I see it.  I got a giant loaf of sourdough, which I picked at all through Hebrew reading.  Lastly, I got 1/4 pound of mixed milk gouda.  It cost $7 and felt blasphemous, but I wanted to try some to see if it is worth giving up entirely.  I have to admit, it's pretty decent.
Vendors and price estimates:
Rustic Sourdough $3.50 from Witherspoon Bread Co.
Garlic: ...uh, I forgot this vendor but the garlic was $2 for 2 bulbs.
Kale: $2.50 for one bunch of organic kale from Stonehenge Farm.
Gouda: $7 for 1/4 lb from Valley Shepherd Creamery

Oh, and Magic Hat summer seasonal beer from a store near the market... Gotta get it while I can since Princeton has the most bizarre liquor laws that keep most stores (including Whole Foods) from selling it.

After I went to the market, I had to be back on campus for Hebrew reading.  This session started today and will be every Thursday from 1:30-3:30.  For every hour we attend, we get 1% point added to our final, up to an 89%.  There will be a total of 10 hours.  While I hope I can get a good grade on my own, I am going to go to every hour possible as insurance that I will pass the class.  Today we made it through 2 Sam. 18:9-19 or so...And it took 2 hours!!  This is hard.

Now off to call USPS and file a formal complaint against our carrier for not delivering my mail and not picking it up either.  GRRRRRRRR.

No comments:

Post a Comment