Saturday, March 12, 2011

Vegan Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Pancakes

I have very fond memories of waking up on the weekends to pancakes made by my dad.  When we were little he'd even make us Mickey Mouse pancakes.  I realized recently that I've never really perfected my own pancakes, so I've been trying out different recipes on the weekends.  It's a good way to get my sweetie to wake up by 1 pm or to grab a bit of his attention before I lose him to Manchester United or FC Barcelona for the rest of the afternoon.  Basically, I just use whatever we have in the cupboards and fridge, be it nuts, fruit, or in this case peanut butter and chocolate.

Absolutely love the way the chocolate is oozing out of the top pancake. Mmm!

Vegan Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Source: Me!
Yields about twelve 3 inch pancakes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup all purpose white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp agave syrup (could use maple)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup peanut butter (I used Trader Joe's all-natural no salt chunky peanut butter)
1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Mix flour, flax, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together agave, peanut butter, and milk.
3. Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Add chocolate chips.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup batter onto a large non-stick pan or griddle on medium heat.  Use the back of the measuring cup to spread batter out if it is too thick.  These pancakes won't get as many bubbles on top as you usually see, so you'll have to check them to see if they are ready to flip by lifting an edge and judging the color.

No comments:

Post a Comment