Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cabbage with Tomatoes and (Vegan) Sour Cream

My sweetie and I just celebrated our 3rd anniversary.  We went to Maharaja indian restaurant on the east side of Madison.  It's one of our favorites and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially fellow vegetarians because they have so many dishes to choose from.  Would you believe Brent and I can still settle on the same one?  Not only are we both vegetarians (also the reason we were set up) but we can pick the same dish out of a list of 15.  This time we skipped the argument over who gets to order what and just ordered two dishes to split.  Yum!!
We also did a good job this year picking presents.  I got him a Manchester United t-shirt that he seems pleased with and he got me a new kitchen bible: Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian."
I love cookbooks and I love even more that this one is geared towards our particular diet.  It's going to get the primo counter real estate once occupied by my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  I can't get rid of that one because it is a staple, but since it's from an ex, it may go into the cupboard.
The first thing I tried from the new cookbook was Cabbage with Tomatoes and Sour Cream.  Don't know why, but I've been on a cabbage kick lately.  Probably because it's winter in Wisconsin and I can't get my hands on much else.



Cabbage with Tomatoes and (Vegan) Sour Cream
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegan butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
6 cups shredded cabbage, preferably Savoy (about 1 small head)
Salt and pepper
2 cups chopped tomatoes (or canned tomatoes; I used whole peeled and mashed them)
1 tbsp cumin seeds or caraway
1/2 cup sour cream or vegan sour cream (I used a bit less)

Directions:
1. Put the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. When it melts, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and raise the heat a bit. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat so the cabbage cooks without browning, until it softens, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Add the tomatoes, with the seeds if you're using them, and cook over lively heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes saucy but thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Lower the heat to a minimum, then taste and adjust the seasoning. Stir in the sour cream and cook for another couple minutes, stirring; serve hot.

Notes:
- I served this over mashed purple potatoes because it's what we had in the cupboard.  It would also be good over pasta.
-I added about 1/2 tsp yellow mustard because I think it brings out the tomato flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment