Monday, March 14, 2011

Because you can always eat more chocolate and peanut butter: Vegan chocolate peanut butter cookies

On Saturday, I posted some vegan chocolate peanut butter pancakes that I made.  Later that day, I was still craving chocolate and peanut butter, as well as the shelf space being taken up by our 3 jars of peanut butter (long story).  This is why I made the pancakes in the first place.  We have no shelf space, so the chocolate chips had been hanging out in plain sight all week and I couldn't take it anymore.  I had to eat them.
I used the ruse of making dinner (eggless tofu salad and endives with oranges) to cover the cookie making, which my sweetie may have objected to given the copious amounts of sweets we always have at home.
These cookies are vegan, which makes them easy to make with ingredients you have on hand!



Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Source: "The Joy of Vegan Baking" Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (a book that I would very much like to own!)
Yield: about 24 cookies

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg replacement (I used 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 Tbsp hot water.  Mix and set aside 10 minutes)
 1 1/4 cups sugar (brown is best)
3/4 cup peanut butter (I used chunky!)
1/2 Earth Balance vegan butter or equivalent
3 Tbsp nondairy milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips or peanuts (or both! I used chunky pb so I just added chocolate chips)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Line your baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
3. Prepare your egg replacement if necessary.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
5. In a large bowl, cream the vegan butter, sugar, peanut butter, nondairy milk and vanilla by hand or with a mixer.  (Guess which I did since my mixer exploded...twice.)
6. Add the egg replacement and combine.
7. Add the dry ingredient mixture to the peanut butter mixture and mix until just combined.  If adding any extras, add them now.
8. Spoon 1 1/2 inch drops of dough onto the prepared baking sheet.  Using a wet fork, press the tines twice into the cookies to slightly flatten them.
9. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until edges are set and cookies are slightly brown.

Notes:
-These cookies aren't chewy, but are still delicious days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment