Monday, May 2, 2011

Door County Weekend

We spent this weekend in Door County.  It is my favorite place and feels more like home to me than any other place.  We stayed at the Blacksmith Inn, which is our favorite. Okay, this was only our second time, but we really love it.  It is operated with the environment in mind and boasts whirlpools, heated floors, fireplaces, and hammocks!  I recommend it for anyone looking for comfort and not completely put off by country style at it's finest.  It is done so well you feel as though you've gone back in time.  That is, until you flip a switch and the fire starts up! 
We also got to spend some nice time with my grandparents and on Sunday, enjoyed my grandma's fabulous cooking and baking. 
It wasn't until we returned home last night that I realized the significance of the day.  My uncle Fred passed away May 1st, 2001 in Door County.  I always think of him when I'm there.  Sunday was absolutely beautiful, with the sun finally shining and trees budding.  I thought of him yesterday as we walked around at The Ridges, a nature preserve near the Blacksmith Inn.  Fred had worked very hard to protect Door County's natural beauty and to raise awareness of threats against it.  The Inn is doing the same, and I think Fred would be proud.  And we ate pie, and he'd like that too.

The Blacksmith Inn's Harbor House (where we stayed)

Breakfast- so thoughtful and good!

The view from our room.

The boardwalk to Lake Michigan

The Harbor House from the rear.

The Inn from the dock.  The Zahn House is left, Harbor House right

Bunnies above the fireplace!  Perfect!

A view of our room with the sun shining in.

The Ridges


Grandma Alley's Homemade Lemon Cream Pie


2 comments: