Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vegan Carrot Cake

I had been planning on making goodies for Brent's family's Easter but we ended up not going.  Luckily, I responded quickly to an Easter invite for my family and declared myself in charge of dessert before my sister got to it...(I don't have any kids and also have lots of bakers in my family and friend circle so I never get to make cakes!) 
I have a vegan carrot cake recipe that I LOVE despite the fact that it is borderline pudding by the time it gets to the table. Or, that's why I like it.  I haven't decided.
For Easter I topped it with beloved real cream cheese frosting, but I also have included a vegan cream cheese frosting below that is equally tasty (and has been known to fool people).
I had some leftover batter and made bunny cupcakes with it.  I have to make them every year because otherwise I have to get rid of the pan, which I refuse to do because I scored it super cheap at Goodwill.  They are impossible to decorate precisely, so this year I gave up and dumped them in coconut flakes.

I was very excited to decorate the cake, but it didn't go so hot.  For one thing, I exhausted myself making the frosting without an electric mixer and was shaking as a result.  Also, I don't have the right equipment.  (Don't get me wrong, I did use it as an opportunity to get an offset spatula and frosting sculptor.)  I saw Alton Brown use one on TV.  However, I need a spinning cake plate to perfect the technique and that's not something I'm going to buy right before moving!  Let's get one more thing that doesn't fit in a box and is awkward to carry!  Right?
The cake was delicious and it made it to Easter despite riding on my lap in the car since my wonderful carrier is MIA.

Here's the recipe:
Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake
Yield= one 9x13 pan or two 8 inch round cakes or 22-24 cupcakes

Ingredients:
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 c. grated carrots
1 c. nondairy milk (I used almond)
1 1/2 c. applesauce
1 c. maple syrup,
1/2 c. crushed walnuts

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. 3. Grate the carrots and add along with the rest of the ingredients except for the walnuts to the flour mixture. Gently fold until just combined.  Mix in the walnuts.
Transfer to a greased 13x9x2 pan. Bake for 40-50 min at 350F until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.  8 inch pans = 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

Cool for 30 min and then frost with cream cheese frosting.


Cream cheese frosting:


Ingredients:
16 oz. cream cheese (2 packages), softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick), softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Directions:
1. Blend butter and cream cheese until combined and fluffy.  Make sure both are at room temp. or they will get lumpy.
2. Blend in powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.  If refrigerated, the frosting will need to be brought to room temperature before using (after frosting softens up, beat with mixer until smooth).

Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
1/4 c (58 g) Earth Balance vegan spread, softened
1/4 c (58 g) vegan cream cheese, softened (I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese Non-Hydrogenated Spread)
2 c (312 g) powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4-1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice to taste

Directions:
1. Cream together the margarine and cream cheese just until combined.
2. Sift in the powdered sugar in half-cup batches, whipping thoroughly combined after each addition.
3. Add the vanilla and lemon juice and whip until fluffy.



We had a very nice Easter with family and a beautiful day after a week of rain.  Here's the sunset from our living room:

No comments:

Post a Comment