Monday, May 30, 2011

Brown Sugar Cookies (Vegan)

Recently, I finally purchased a brown sugar bear because I had stupidly put my brown sugar into one of my dry ingredient jars and it hardened into one solid rock.  A brown sugar bear is a piece of pottery that you soak in water and then place with your sugar to keep it moist for months at a time.  Our bear came with a recipe for brown sugar cookies that I veganized and made for my coworkers and friends last week.  I used vegan butter and flax seed as a replacement for egg.  For each egg called for in a recipe, mix 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of hot water, whisk, and let sit for about 10 minutes or until it takes on an egg-like consistency.
I love these cookies because the taste of the brown sugar really shines through.  I remember eating brown sugar right out of the bag baking with my mom and grandma as a child.

Vegan Brown Sugar Cookies
Yield: about 4 dozen
Adapted from The Original Brown Sugar Bear packaging

Ingredients:
1 cup vegan butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg replacement (1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp hot water)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Blend butter and sugar together.
2. Beat in flax mixture and vanilla.
3. In another bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to the wet ingredients and combine.
4. Form teaspoon sized balls of dough and roll in brown sugar to coat.  Bake for 6-8 minutes or until edges are set and cookies look done.


3 comments:

  1. These were yummy. I rolled them in cinnamon sugar for a snicker doodle type cookie. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some trouble with the cookie dough is it supposed to be smooth enough that you can roll them into balls without it being sticky or is it supposed to be liquidy? It was a good cookie recipe though

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these last night and just subbed the flax for applesauce. They turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete