Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Slow Roasted Tomatoes a la Gwyneth Paltrow

I love reading Gwyneth Paltrow's website at Goop.com.  I ran across it in a magazine quote from Jimmy Kimmel of all people.  For the last year or so, I check it at least once a week for wellness tips, advice, recipes, interviews, and ideas (and to drool over fashion and traveling that I will never be able to afford)!

I love tomatoes, so much so that I had abstained from eating them all winter when they are colorless and tasteless here in the Dairyland.  We finally have local vine ripened tomatoes available to us and I had just the recipe in mind...


This is from Paltrow's new cookbook, My Father's Daughter, as presented here on Goop.com

Later in the week I will post 2 ideas for using these delicious little gems.

Slow Roasted Tomatoes
by Gwyneth Paltrow

Ingredients:
Vine ripened tomatoes, washed
Olive oil
Salt (I also added pepper)

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally.
4. Rub with a tiny bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Bake seed side up for 3-5 hours, or until they look nearly sun dried.
6. Store in a jar with olive oil in the fridge.


Before
After


I suggest making plenty because these dress up any recipe.  Try them in a pasta salad or a greens salad.  Here are two other ideas: sandwiches and pasta.  (Click on the word to go to the recipe.)

4 comments:

  1. Delicious! Totally transforms tomatoes. Could not stop gobbling them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use cherry tomatoes or larger ones? They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These ones were on-the-vine tomatoes that were larger than cherry tomatoes but not very big. I'd say they were 3 inches in diameter. It works for any size since it is such a slow roast. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomatoes are best eaten raw. They are dried up and not as nutritious having been baked to oblivion. Tomato juice is even better for you. Tomato juice is nectar from heaven.

    ReplyDelete