Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Calico Skillet Take Two

The Original Calico Skillet can be found here.  This is one of my favorite recipes from my childhood that I recently rediscovered.  My sweetie, however, does not share my taste in vegetables (I like them all but celery, olives, and iceberg lettuce).  I modified the original recipe with vegetables he likes (plus the fridge leftovers), and here it is!
The flavor is just as wonderful as the original, but I have to admit I missed the squash.

Calico Skillet 2.0 served with tofu.
Calico Skillet
Adapted from a Recipe Courtesy of Grandma Alley

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked macaroni noodles (about 6 oz uncooked)
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup cannellini beans
2 cups button mushrooms, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp prepared mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil + 1/2 tsp butter or vegetable oil (so olive oil doesn't burn)
1 small can of tomato paste
1-14 to 16 oz can of cooked tomatoes or diced tomatoes with liquid
2 cups shredded Wisconsin cheddar cheese (or less)
2 tbsp sour cream

Directions:
1. Saute the mushrooms, onions, and basil in oil until onions are beginning to brown.
2. Add the broccoli, carrots, and beans and saute for a few minutes until vegetables are almost tender.
3. Add salt, tomato paste, and tomatoes with liquid.  Add the spices and mustard. Heat through.
4. Stir in the sour cream.  Add the cheese.  Turn off the heat and immediately cover until the cheese melts.
5. Serve over cooked pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment