Friday, February 4, 2011

Calico Skillet

Happy Friday!
My big sis texted me this recipe a few days ago.  She found it in a church cookbook belonging to my Grandma Alley.  This was my favorite dish that my mom used to make when we were kids, and wouldn't you know, it is vegetarian!  I was anxious to see if I'd remember the taste.  For this reason, I decided to stick closely to the recipe.  Normally, I change a recipe to my taste and what I have on hand.  (I did lighten it up a bit by cutting the cheese by 1/2 a cup and used an all natural tomato soup.)
My poor sweetie is not a fan of squash, zucchini included, so next time I may try different veggies.  He was courageous and ate a huge bowl regardless.
I had warned him I desperately wanted to make this recipe as is.  Boy, did it take me back to some good memories!


This recipe moves fast so it is best to have everything ready to go in ahead of time.

Ooey Gooey Goodness!

A hearty,  perfectly Dairyland Vegetarian meal.


Calico Skillet
Recipe Courtesy of Grandma Alley

Ingredients:
2 cups sliced zucchini and/or yellow squash
3 cups cooked macaroni noodles (about 6 oz uncooked)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp prepared mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil + 1/2 tsp butter or vegetable oil (so olive oil doesn't burn)
1 small can of tomato soup concentrate
1-14 to 16 oz can of cooked tomatoes or diced tomatoes
2 cups shredded Wisconsin cheddar cheese (or less)

Directions:
1. Saute the squash, onions, and basil in oil until onions are beginning to brown and squash is tender.
2. Add salt, soup concentrate, and tomatoes.  Add the spices and mustard. Heat through.
3. Add the cheese.  Turn off the heat and immediately cover until the cheese melts.
4. Serve over cooked pasta.

Notes:
-The recipe above will work best in a deep 12 inch pan or larger.
-It is important to only heat, not cook, when adding ingredients to prevent overcooking.
-I always taste zucchini raw before I add it to anything because I have had one too many bitter bites of it in  the past.
-It is hard to take pictures secretly in the kitchen.   Brent was in the living room the whole time yelling, "Are you taking pictures of your food?"!!  Ugh.  I haven't told him about this side project yet.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it turned out beautifully! I also love how vibrantly colorful it is...thus the name, I'm sure :). It kind of reminds me of that old couch we used to have on the porch on Upham...the calico and flowery one that Lindy chewed the legs off of.

    ReplyDelete