Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins

Last week was rough.  One of my wonderful coworkers passed away suddenly and I was being anxious about grad school/scholarships/life in general.  Baking is by far my biggest stress reliever, especially since I still can't run right now.  So, naturally it is where I turn when I'm feeling blue.  I think the science of baking, exacting the steps, measuring everything, is so methodical that it is soothing to me... if I can manage to quiet my mind enough to pay attention and not burn myself, lose count of cups, spill sprinkles all over the floor (which Brent may still be finding three weeks later) etc...
It is kind of like yoga in that you have to practice mindfulness and focus in the present.

Here is what I made when I was stressed this weekend when my plans got sidelined by freezing rain and icy roads.

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins
adapted from Madhuram's Eggless Cooking

Yields 9 regular sized muffins.

These aren't the prettiest muffins ever- all the more reason to eat them!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used stone ground)
1/2 cup all purpose white flour
2/3 cup quick oats
1/3 cup cocoa powder (I used natural [v. dutch] because it's what I have and I think it worked fine)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup natural white sugar (a vegan thing)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used Smart Balance because it's a staple in my life)
1 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond)
1/8 tsp (a pinch) of salt)
1/2 tsp chocolate extract
1/4 tsp espresso powder (these last two ingredients are things I have on hand that I have been adding to any chocolate recipes I have made recently; both enhance the chocolate flavor.  The extract is from the Willy St Co-op and the powder is from Woodman's)
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Melt peanut butter into milk in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.  When smooth and combined, remove from heat and let cool most of the way, stirring to avoid a film. Add chocolate extract and combine.
3. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, sifting in flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder to avoid lumps.
4. Add peanut butter and milk mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.  The batter will be thick.
5. Spoon into a muffin tray lined with 9 liners.  Fill to the top of liners.  Smooth out the tops.  Fill the remaining 3 cups (if you are using a 12- muffin cup pan) 1/3 the way with a water to prevent uneven baking. 
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops are firm and a toothpick comes out mostly clean.  Cool before eating.

Notes:
-These muffins are very dense.  I enjoy them and Brent has been taking them to work for breakfast this week.  I have to remind myself that if these were "perfected" they'd be cupcakes and that it is sometimes best to leave well enough alone.  They are sweet without being overly so.
-If you don't enjoy the oats, I'd suggest grinding them up first.


Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment