Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day! Part Deux (Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies)

Happy Valentine's Day!


A couple of weeks ago, Val passed on to me a vintage Mirro Cookie Press.  Even though press cookies are traditionally made for the holidays, I didn't want to wait another 10 months.  Plus, I could use some practice before next Christmas!

Vintage cookie press- still in (what's left of) the original box!

Speaking of Christmas, Karen sent us some delicious spritz cookies this year and I decided to use her recipe.




Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies from Fine Cooking Holiday Baking Winter 2004
See Karen's post here.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
3 oz cream cheese softened at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 lg egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
11.25 oz (2 1/2 cups) flour

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Beat butter, cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
3. Add egg yolk and vanilla and beat again until blended. Add flour and mix on low until well blended.
4. Follow directions of cookie press and press cookies onto ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake until just golden around the edges...10 - 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes before transferring.
Store at room temperature or freeze in an airtight container, separating the cookie layers with wax paper.

Notes:
- Since my mixer died (twice) a couple of weeks ago, I have been making everything without it.  Hopefully this will result in some nice arm muscles AND it is definitely doable.  A pastry blender/ cutter works wonders when a whisk won't do the trick.  I have wanted a Kitchen Aid stand mixer forever, but since I'm getting by without one I'll probably keep putting it off.
- If you are a new cookie press user like me, I suggest starting with a few test batches to get the hang of things.  Press a couple of cookies onto the sheet and bake them off just to see how they turn out... make sure to eat your mistakes so nobody knows.  At least that is my rule.  Hehe.
-I recommend a light colored and/or insulated cookie sheet.

The plate above actually results in heart shaped cookies with lovely scalloped edges.  The booklet that came with the press is full of little ditties like "Party time is Pastry time."

1 comment: