Thursday, June 23, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies- Take one and two

First attempt on top, second and more successful attempt on bottom.

These are all second attempt.  Yummy.


I found this recipe awhile ago and was smitten but unable to make it until strawberries were back and season.  I don't know what those orange and white, giant as fists and hard as apples things that they sell as strawberries during Wisconsin winters are, but they aren't strawberries.  (Maybe they are made out of the same thing as off season "tomatoes.")

My plan was to make a batch the regular way, then try my hand at a vegan version.  Alas, my first batch turned out all wrong.  They tasted great, but they had the consistency of muffin tops and not shortcake.  So, I found myself following the same recipe again to right my wrongs.  Some of the recipe comments were about the dough being too dry and not coming together.... My dough was eerily similar to cake batter.  I think the use of seasonal berries led to too much juiciness when I added them to the rest of the ingredients.  On take two, I skipped adding lemon juice and went with lemon zest.  I also used a slotted spoon to scoop up the berries to add them, leaving the juice behind.

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
Adapted from: MarthaStewart.com
Yield: about 3 dozen

Ingredients:
12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups) - I recommend using slightly less
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling- Oops, forgot about this part!

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries, lemon zest , and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
  2. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.

Sorry the posts have been not so frequent.  I've been traveling a lot, dealing with apartment issues, and trying to get ready for graduate school!

No comments:

Post a Comment