Thursday, June 9, 2011

Caramelized Onion Pasta Salad (Vegan)

I love that certain foods like onion and garlic get even better under conditions that would cook other foods to death.  When cooked or roasted for almost eternity, these foods sweeten and turn into ooey gooey brown candy.  I experienced caramelized onions for the first time a couple of years ago and have craved them almost daily since then.  Like cheese, they make everything better.
It's been insanely hot here.  It's been in the mid 90s outside.  Inside, well our AC isn't working, so it's worse.  It is disheartening to go outside and realize it is cooler and there's a breeze! Anyway, the conditions have forced me to get creative.  I can't bake because I can't use the oven. That would be torture in our tiny space.  I know at least one person who would kill me for it.  Unless, of course, the heat got him first. 
Here is a pasta salad I made after a day of contemplating.  It was very savory and delicious. 

Sliced onions in a dry pan.
Onions beginning to caramelize!
Mmm... Pasta Salad!
Vegan Caramelized Onion Pasta Salad
Yield 2-3 servings

Ingredients:
2 medium onions (I prefer yellow or sweet, but they will all work)
2-3 tbsp olive oil + 2-3 tbsp
1/2 lb uncooked-farfalle pasta (cooked, aka bow-ties; you can really use whatever)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
3oz tofu, cubed and fully cooked (I froze mine for texture and then thawed and fried.)
Parmesan cheese (for non-vegans only) or vegan shaky cheese substitute to garnish.

Directions:
1. Thinly slice the onions.  I used a food processor because you want the slices fairly uniform.  (A mandoline would also work, but I don't have one of those for the sake of my own personal safety...specifically that of my fingertips)
2. Put onions in a large dry pan over medium-low heat and cover.  The goal is to let the onions spread out so everybody heats evenly.  Stir about every 5 minutes.  The onions will get juicy before they begin to dry out and stick to the pan.  At this point, the onions should begin to brown.  Uncover, and the oil, and season with salt and pepper.  Stir and turn the heat up to medium.
3. Stir onions every few minutes until they are uniformly light brown (caramel color).  Remove from heat and cool.
4. In a bowl, combine vegan mayonnaise, 2 tbsp olive oil, and caramelized onions.  If the mixture is thick, add more oil.  Mix with pasta and tofu.  Eat it hot or cold. Season and garnish to taste.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment