Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sheep Farm Visit

Today I drove out to New Glarus with my friend Maggie to go to a local sheep farm's annual spring shearing day.  Maggie and I both dream of one day having hobby farms and thought we should check one out.  Even though it was 80 degrees out last weekend, it was snowing this morning and freezing cold.  I've decided that I'm going to act like it's spring until the weather decides to cooperate, so we ventured out anyway.  It was a quirky place but a fun experience.  Even the drive was nice despite the weather.  The rolling hills and oak savannas of southwestern Wisconsin are beautiful. I'm going to miss this state!

There is a sheep in there somewhere.  That's a roll of wool that has been sheared off.
Newly naked sheep and lambs.

A black and tan sheep getting sheared.

The lamb in the middle is the black and tan's daughter.

This is Flower the sheep dog.


One of the farmers let us take a peek at the baby chicks.

He's one handsome dog.



A glimpse into her future?!

The wool is spun into yarn by hand.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT post, Callie! I loved reading about your visit and the pictures were awesome! It looked painful for the sheep. I suppose not, but I bet they are COLD tonight! Very interesting post!
    Gram....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeepers, you're so organized!! Looks good - it was a beautiful day!
    -Mag

    ReplyDelete