Sunday, August 14, 2011

Turtle! Turtle! (aka Brent and I go for a walk and meet loads of turtles)



I have now completed 5 weeks of summer Hebrew.  We got thrown a curveball this past week by getting a new professor.  Our first professor, Dr. Jeremy Hutton, has departed for UW Madison.  How weird is that?
Our new professor is the polar opposite of Prof. Hutton, which isn't bad, just another thing to get used to.  It's not like I ever know what's going on in lecture anyway.  Okay, there is one bad thing.  The new professor will be our preceptor once a week or so since our preceptors are now going to be leading lecture once a week.  Precept is more of a group therapy session most days than a classroom (though we do learn a lot).  So, taking our "therapist" away once a week and letting a new one grade our quizzes is just not cool- especially when the new one is our professor so we can't complain at all and are slightly intimidated (or a lot intimidated). 

Needless to say, by Friday, I was losing it.  I almost skipped lecture because I was so frusterated after precept (mainly with myself).  First we got the quizzes back that the professor graded (a 14 out of 20 for me), then I completely blanked on the new quiz and was so frazzled I just gave up and turned it in with several blanks.  It doesn't help that I picked last week to quit coffee cold turkey after waking up with a caffeine headache over the weekend.  Also, I was wearing my new glasses, which made me feel woozy the whole day.

New glasses. (and junk...we are still unpacking).

I was in a terrible mood.  Then, lecture ended up being fine, especially since our neighbor was leading it and before I knew it I was free!!

Brent and I really made the most of this weekend.  Friday after class we took the campus connector downtown, checked out a record shop, a coffee shop, and some other neat stores.

On Saturday, we slept in, went for a walk (more on that in a minute) and finally, FINALLY, saw the last Harry Potter.

Our walk down by the canal ended up being the highlight of the weekend.  Why?
Because we saw a ridiculous amount of turtles.  Apparently that is all it takes to entertain me!  They were all in one small area, which made it even more strange, like all of them decided to have a sunbathing party.




We watched them for quite awhile.  Okay, Brent watched and I took loads of photos.

Some were about a foot long, others were babies!




There was also this cool monument.


The D & R Canal was to one side and this nature reserve was on the other.

Turtle-y cool.  Eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment